Monday, January 5, 2015

Music Monday - From Usher to Brand New

Hey everyone! We've managed to make it through another Monday (mostly) unscathed. It was a toughie at work for me, but I did the best I could and got outta there. Have tons more to do tomorrow! 

I've been struggling quite a bit all day trying to think of new, fun songs that I've really been into to share with you that aren't quite so obvious or all over the radio. I realize now that citing four of my favorite current songs a week doesn't leave me many options after awhile...so I'm thinking of bringing in some of my old favorites as well! I especially love to listen to my old pop rock favorites during gloomy winter days (which are very much on the horizon for those of us in the tristate area.) 

This week I will be giving you a little mixture of new and old - hope you enjoy!

I Don't Mind (featuring Juicy J) - Usher
I just heard this song for the first time over the weekend and I really love it! I've always had a soft spot for r&b and just Usher in particular. (I mean, Yeah! is a classic for every kid that grew up in the 2000's.) Just an overall feel good r&b/pop/slight rap song that will leave you bopping your head along to the beat.
Favorite Lyric; "You want your own and you need your own, baby who am I to judge?" 



House Party - Sam Hunt
This is my current favorite Sam Hunt songs, although his album Montevallo is full of some really great songs. I particularly love Sam Hunt's country-pop hybrid genre. I realize T-Swift was doing the country-pop thing for awhile, but Sam Hunt has a totally different vibe that's more original and overall pleasant to listen to. I am by no means a huge fan of country - but I can listen to Sam Hunt all day. This is a great pump-up song for while you're getting ready to go out (or ya know, have a house party...)
Favorite Lyric; "You ain't gotta leave the house to have a good time, Ima bring the good time home to you."



OctaHate - Ryn Weaver
This is another Spotify find for me. I found this one on my absolute favorite playlist "Forever Young" seriously, check it out, I dance around in my work chair to this playlist all day long. Ryn Weaver has a singer songwriter voice with a very kind of electric pop feel to her music. I never skip this song whenever it comes on shuffle. Not only is it catchy and fun to listen to, but it has really relatable lyrics.
Favorite Lyrics; "Deep in the trench from the crossfire, you shot me down from the live wire."



Oldie but goodie time!

Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't - Brand New
Who didn't love Brand New circa 2003/4?! I realize now that there was nothing in my life at that time that serious, but I felt so connected to the lyrics of these songs anyway, suppose it was just all that built up teen angst. Haha. If nothing else, Brand New had some really clever lyrics with amazing metaphors. This song was always my anthem, it just kind of speaks to the disarray that is relationships most of the time. And I had some pretty tumultuous relationships during my high school years that this song certainly helped me try to make sense of. 
Favorite Lyric; "Holding on to your grudge. Oh, it's so hard to have someone to love." 



Hope you all enjoyed this mix of new and old favorite tunes of mine. I just got Apple TV and have been constantly shuffling my entire iTunes library to finally listen to some of my old songs. So many great bands have come up from ADTR to Jack's Mannequin to blink-182. I'm definitely looking forward to adding more of my old favorite songs to every Music Monday. Let me know what you guys think about mixing old and new music - do you love it as much as I do?

Have a great Tuesday guysss! I'll be back with some beauty product recommendations on the morrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment