Monday, December 14, 2015

NYC Adventure Time!

Hey guys. Remember me?! I used to blog once upon a time...

My life has been a whirlwind these past few months to say the least. I've had really amazing, beautiful times that I wished would never end and I've had really terrible, ugly times that I couldn't wish to get over fast enough. But that's what makes us who we are, right? However, I think that's a blog post for another time and place, I've got a lot going on in my noggin that's begging to be written out... :)

The good news is I'm back! I'm going for a less structured schedule now - I think the main reason I stopped blogging in the first place is because I would fail making my own deadlines and become discouraged. So now, I will write posts when I feel I have something important to share with the interwebz. Quality not quantity, amiright?!


Now, for the subject at hand. I went on a little adventure to the big apple yesterday with my mother. We went in to see the play Spring Awakening; what was unique about this show though, was that it was presented in American Sign Language along with the original music. I actually took an American Sign Language class in college, so I was really intrigued to see how it would translate to the audience in conjunction with actual song and lyrics, which have a folk-rock influence.


For those of you who aren't familiar with the show I will give you a very brief synopsis. This version of the play is actually adapted from a German play of the same name from the early 1900's. The main theme of the show is the sexual awakening (cause that makes sense, right?) of a group of highly suppressed teenagers. They are taught nothing about sexuality in general and find themselves in utter turmoil when they begin to navigate the subject on their own... Someone ends up pregnant, someone ends up dead, and someone ends up simulating masturbation on stage. So I mean, there's that.


The end result of combining American Sign Language with the songs of the show was nothing short of moving. A particular number entitled "Touch Me" became so powerful towards the end that I was nearly in tears. (I'm also highly emotional, so take that as you will.) Watching American Sign Language being performed is different because it commands the emotions behind the actions to be felt. Several of the actors are in fact, actually deaf; so I feel their ability to keep in time with everything happening on the stage solely by memory and sight unbelievable. I also really appreciated that they were bringing American Sign Language into such a popular light. As I was a student of the subject I know there's an entire deaf culture that generally goes unrecognized by hearing people. 

Also, aside from the American Sign Language aspect, the music in the show is incredible. The actor who played Melchior (they're all super German names. Haha) was AMAZING. His voice was just beyond anything I've ever heard. As mentioned before, it has a rock influence so the songs are upbeat and catchy. Not to mention raunchy at some points, I know most young people will appreciate that! I highly recommend catching this show before it ends in January; it's a very unique must-see. And if you can't catch it, at least give the soundtrack a listen; you can do so for FREE on Spotify. (Yes, I'm a huge Spotify advocate, I try to convert everyone I know.)

Of course, this isn't my own video, but here's a clip of the song "Touch Me" I mentioned earlier. This rendition is just so incredibly powerful.


So that's my mini review of the show for you. I realize people that aren't theater nerds like myself probably won't appreciate this post as much, but I have a few more post ideas up my sleeve so I'm sure I'll be back sooner rather than later with some different content!


PS please forgive me for the Snapchat photos; it's been actual months and I still haven't learned to properly use my camera...baby steps people, baby steps.

4 comments:

  1. Now I want to go see this! I love going into NYC to see musicals too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go see it! It's an amazing, different show.

      xoLiz

      Delete
  2. Ahh Spring Awakening is a good one! Sounds like you had a wonderful time :) And welcome back!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) Looking forward to catching up on all the looks on your blog. Expect a lot of comments from me! Lol

      xoLiz

      Delete